The department was set up in 1961. Initially it was named National liberation struggle and for more than 30 years there worked RSA Velichka Koycheva (honorary citizen of Stara Zagora).
In 1977 the Memorial Complex Defenders of Stara Zagora was established as a branch of the museum. The main purpose of the branch was to search for, collect and preserve monuments related to Stara Zagora battle (19/31 July 1877) and to work for settling of a permanent exhibition in Bulgarian Opalchenie park. As its Head was appointed R.A. Neicho Kunev.
Nowadays, History of the Bulgarian lands XV-XIX century Department, that was called in the past Revival, continues to collect, study, preserve and promote proofs of the historical memory of Stara Zagora Region from XV c. to the Union of Eastern Rumelia with the Bulgarian Principality (1885). In the fund there are kept over 2,000 movable cultural properties - documents, books, weapons, orders and medals, lithographs, photographs and objects, which belonged to significant figures, related to the Ottoman period, the Revival and the first years after the Liberation.
Portraits of prominent writers of the Bulgarian national revival, such as Gospodin Slavov, Alexander Exarch, Atanas Ivanov, Atanas Iliev, Petur Ivanov, Anastasia Tosheva, Kolio Ganchev, Dimitar Naumov, are kept there.
Head of department:
Vanya Doneva – Tsenkova
GSM: 0884 477 122